Friday, June 19, 2009

Going to sleep

I was asleep. In my life, in many ways I was going through the motions being caught up in one thing after another. The stress of the moment could change my focus, alter my emotions, start my mind on a track that was hard to stop. I could be distracted from what was right in front of me, because I was only thinking about something else... Normal.

We're usually asleep like that. We stop hearing the birds sing when we're outside, we don't even notice our ride into work. What did the trees look like? How did the sun fell as it fell upon your face. How did the air conditioning feel as it cooled you? Did that song on the radio make your soul dance or cry? Do you remember what you just said to your friend on the cell phone?

It's like we're just filling time between things that we don't experience. Experiences that aren't experienced. In a way, we are asleep. What puts our lights out? What makes the day seem like a haze or a series of obstacles just to jump through? We're zoned out. We need to tune in.

We need to think one thought at a time and do one thing at a time. We need to pay attention to what is in front of us. IF we don't like what we see, we need to get up and move. We need to wake up our minds and decide what gets our attention and our focus and our very short time on this earth. If what is filling our lives is junk...then our lives are junk. If what is filling our lives is rich and lasting and enriching and sustaining...then our lives are rich and fulfilled. If we don't know WHY we are doing what we are doing, then we are asleep and unaware. We have to wake up. WAAAAKE UUUUUUUUP! What fills you up?

No comments: